Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Progress/The Basics

yoyo,
I am now a couple weeks into this project, I can't say I have been progressing at the steady pace I would want to be but I have made some improvement. I started off in the Beginner Tricks such as the basic throw and walk the dog. I have now progressed into the 1A Yoyo Tricks in the Unresponsive Basics category. Most of these tricks require two types of throw, the basic throw, and the breakaway. I have been struggling with the breakaway throw for a while now and just can't get the hang of it. The breakaway is what you need for basically all of the tricks after this point. Once I learn this type of throw, my plan is to improve at a much faster pace.

I have an unresponsive yoyo, to those of you who don't know what that is, basically it just means that the yoyo itself won't come back to your hand automatically. Here is where you have to learn a bind. Binds are certain tricks that will get the yoyo to come back up to your hand, because it won't do it by itself. So far I have learned one bind, but there is many more to learn. A responsive yoyo on the other hand will automatically come back to your hand when you want it to. A basic flick of the wrist should usually get it up. The difference between the two is that in unresponsive yoyoing, you can do tricks that last longer and the yoyo will spin longer at the end of its axis. Also, with an unresponsive yoyo, you can do unresponsive and responsive tricks. But in responsive yoyoing, the yoyo does not spin as long and you can only do responsive tricks with it. By going from a responsive yoyo to an unresponsive yoyo, the only major difference is learning the binds. You also have to learn to control how long the yoyo spins for. If it spins too long at the end of the string, a bind will not work. That is why you have to kind of feel for how long it can spin and have the bind still work. The bind will not work with a loose spinning string. I still have trouble with this but it's been coming with practice.


2 comments:

  1. Sarah,
    I'm so excited to hear about your progress in learning different yoyo tricks. This is such a cool idea for a project. I like how you explained the difference between a responsive and unresponsive yoyo, I thought all yoyos were the same. I like how you're honest about not making as much progress as you would like to be making. You should post some videos of the tricks you're learning, it would be cool to see. I'm sure I'll be impressed with what you've learnt, seeing as I cant even get a yoyo to come back to me. Thanks for sharing!
    Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love the fact that you explained all the different kind of tricks you want to learn, and that you admitted your struggle in learning the breakaway. I am excited to see your progress and how you improve by the end of the semester! I never knew how much there is to know about yoyoing and how there is unresponsive and responsive yoyos! Your post was very insightful and your idea is so creative. You should take videos of yourself doing some tricks so we can see your progress as you get better because that would be really cool!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete